Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tomica Is Purchasing RC2 (Johnny Lightning & Ertl)

This news has been posted about everywhere today, so if there's anyone out there who has not already heard this- Tomica is purchasing the maker of Johnny Lightning, Racing Champions, and Ertl.  Likely, the major asset that RC2 has is the "Thomas The Tank Engine" license and toyline, which has always been a solid seller for RC2.  Both companies have a wide range of products available aside from diecast and it seems like both line up well with one another.

I think this will be a good thing for both companies, and I hope that it means I can get Tomica's full range of products in the United States someday soon.  Especially the new Tomica Limited Celica 2800 XX in white.  Matches my very first 1:1!

In the meantime, I think it's safe to say we won't see Johnny Lightnings in Tomica boxes or Tomicas in JL blisterpacks.  I'm sure eventually there will be some sharing of the tooling, but I question how much interest there is in the USA for a 1977 Mazda Cosmo or how popular the 1972 AMC Gremlin would be in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment